Tuesday, November 13, 2007


CONVICTS


When I get to Modells, I part hands with my mother.

She lets me go, and I always find my way
to the pet store section, to the mangy, blank-eyed spider monkey in his cage. He knew I couldn’t
buy him (I thought), but if I spent time meeting his gaze,

I was gaining a kind of penance.


When I wander back, it is through the forest

of the floor lamp section, my face flaring white,

the dust motes crackling, full of electricity.
The mannequins' eyes follow me,
always a desperate, bird-nest blue.
According to my brother, they are convicts,
murderers and the like, sprayed in plastic;

their damnation to be stunted in such

poses of the beautiful,

to be kept that half-inch of distance from us.

I know I shouldn’t believe him.

I find my mother’s hand, grasp it,

ask for an Orange Crush, go blank.

Monsters