Saturday, November 10, 2007


DISTANCE


What rises through me

could be breath or wind;

I shiver with the thrust of it.

Past my window, the stricken

corridors of Brooklyn, to the grey,

pulsing mesh of the screen porch

where my father steps out

and lets the dark air take him.


I can’t imagine what he hears,

swirling his cheap martini

to the stark clutter of leaves;

The way he could listen to thunder storms
by himself in the summer
and I knew not to go near him.


The trees set off their soft,

urgent twinings,

the grass rises like the knives

of saints to greet him.


He already can't find his way back.


My mother snores on the couch,
the gardens in her magazines
folded across her lap,

the garbled blue flower of TV

plays for no one in the kitchen.


Across the screen,
someone
in a white shirt
wanders on a beach.

Monsters