Monday, December 17, 2007


GRACE RUN IT THROUGH ME


Don't leave me, as sunlight spreads

its wound through the broken-jawed
doorways of morning. Don't let me
forget how I stood here, mouth open,
afraid what might enter.

There are diamonds still caught

in the tough black gullets of crows
who swing toward the sun.
There are still fish alive in this river--
bright as coins they flash, searching the bottom

There are children racing

through nervous pews,

who trace dust on black Bible fronts,

and dream of cars like red-painted animals

with doors open, waiting for them.


There are men who jostle and shout
around the spuming back of a garbage truck.
In the muddled half-sleep of work,

their faces dance to each other

like drowned garments.

They think of going home to touch

their lovers, to run the shiver

like a current through their fingers.


This is the shudder,

the current,

the hollow collapse.


Oh Grace,
I will not break.
Run it through me.

Monsters