Friday, December 7, 2007


PURE


Had a pure moment tonight, going to see “Fly Ashtray” at CBGB’s

after a vicious, tremendous thunder and lightening squall
all over
Manhatta and outlying regions, the drains overflowing,
women running,
skipping puddles, holding up paper plates
in dainty, old-fashioned defense
against the weather;
all this stirred-up energy, and there I was, waiting

for the light to change, ducking under the nearest canopy
to escape the rain,
and I spot James out in front of CBGB’s
catching a smoke, and the lightening
flashes, soundless now
over the roof tops above him, and the restaurant/bar
where I’m seeking shelter actually starts playing, “Gimme Shelter”
by the Stones, a great tribal-rhythm song, and suddenly, my pulse
starts
racing with the shots of Jim Beam running through me,
and it’s life
during war-time, and I’m raggedly ecstatic
waiting to cross the street
to meet my friends
and hear the dirgey gargoyle crowings of this,

our precious beast, our broken back, our rock ‘n’ roll…

Monsters