Wednesday, January 2, 2008


MR. CRUNCHY


(part one)


This dance you do, what do you call it?

This old thing? Oh, I don’t know.

Maybe Waltz-with-a-Hole-in-my-Pocket,

maybe the High Voltage Serenade.

Maybe I dance when I sleep and don’t know it,
my follicles swaying toward star light.
Maybe I am photosynthesis in reverse:
All crimped and fetalized under sunlight,
all milk tides and electric limbs by night. See how protectively your skin is gripped to you?
Force of habit, that’s all.

It just never found a better dance partner.

Let it slip off your coat hanger bones

and find the real freedom it needs.

Let it have an affair with a traveling salesman

in a sleazy motel, let it assume the form for him

of an aging movie star he was in love with as a child,
and as they sleep, their tattered bodies lit

by late-night TV, by its’ blue swarm

of itemized moonlight, someone on the screen

is squawking, about a 1-800 number.
A place where you can dance all night.


You’ll catch me down there

at the Omnivore’s Ball,

swinging with the spectacle,

looking for my latest victim

who could pass as my own lonely double.

Monsters