Friday, February 29, 2008
FOUNDLING
I am the wearer of the Eternal Dunce-Cap.
Sparrows comb my hair.
My fingers are diamond speedboats,
my throat a turnpike which is always turning,
searching out the next bleary exit— signposts
full of stark and bludgeoned hunger. I am all
about the off-ramp, I am America’s Next Sweetheart,
blubbering about my passport and extradition treaties.
I stand for blunt instruments and catching the perfect wave.
I am the scissor in your pageant, the open blade.
I’m very worried about global warming,
if that’s where you want to go with this. I’m your foundling, swaddling and hypodermics aside.
I just want to put this parade in the past tense.
I just know I was born to decline this prize.
-
BREAKING SHORES If the rain were a telegram then I’d be talking to everyone at once, all of us under a singular, spreading touch, as ti...
-
GRAVE MELODY I have found Sabina Melody among the graves, beloved of Matthew, resting in this earth since 1891, awaiting the Day of R...
