Friday, February 22, 2008


MY LITTLE TURNKEY


You hold the key.


I check my watch. 2 minutes to Lights Out.

We make some small talk; the weather, the movies,

which latest starlet we’d like to fornicate with.


You say, the tattoo on my right forearm

is actually a hieroglyph, tying me to a proud

lineage of pre-Columbian warrior kings.

I say, Nice pitch. Try again.

You say, It’s really about my mother,

my real mother, the woman I’ve never met.
I say, Can you even read my right forearm?
And just like that, the tattoo is gone.

You smile, a little abashed.

Time’s up. Lights Out.

You get up, gently close the door behind you.


Turn the key.

I’m under your watch, but I’m watching
you leave, down the long, scalloped

shadow play of the corridor, a light bulb

just starting to flicker out overhead.


I go to say something, but I realize

you’ve taken my tongue with you,

a mute and indefensible talisman

carefully folded inside a clean, white towel.

Monsters