Monday, February 11, 2008


SPLIT SCREEN


The sky is a good enough place to start.

I have kept careful notes on all this, but of course,

they will be blurred by sea-salt, the bleeding ink creating

misreading after misreading that will be passed down over

generations, so what's the difference?
I know I live right now in a wild fear of the cavern,
the coffin, the closed lid. Now in the end all I wish
is for those two edges to meet, to complete their seam.
I rush my prow toward the horizon, toward the split-screen,
where on one hand I am offered a Viking funeral

and on the other my younger self receives
a visitation by Christopher Columbus, who tells me
to seize the dream, ignore the maps, to turn the dinner fork
into a divining rod, pointing the way across an open sea.

It is the posture of the forlorn, the hopeful,

the doomed and the loving all in one. Now watch.

Even as the mist grows deeper. This is the best part...

Monsters